Technical Optics (E362502)
|Departments:||ústav přístrojové a řídící techniky (12110)|
|Valid until:|| ??||Range:||2P+1.5C+0.5L|
The course gives a thorough interpretation of the principle of image forming by planar and spherical surfaces under the laws of geometric optics. Monochromatic and colour aberrations are also explained.
1. Light as electromagnetic radiation. Wavefronts and rays. Index of refraction. Optical path. Polarization.
2. Fermat's principle. Refraction and reflection at a plane surface. Total internal reflection. Planparalel plate. Handeness and parity.
3. Plane mirro and systems of mirrors. Refraction prisms: types, applications.
4.Crown and flint glass, dispersion, Abbe number. Dispersion prisms, minimum deviation position.
5. Curved optical surfaces. Transfer equations, ray tracing. Cardinal points and planes.
6. Focal length, optical power. Magnification: transverse, axial, angular.
7. Centred system of optical surfaces: cardinal points, focal length, magnification, transfer equations.
8. Thick lens: image forming, ray tracing, types.
9. Thin lens: image forming, ray tracing (graphically and algebraically).
10. Systems of thin lenses, system focus. Afocal system.
11. Aberrations of optical systems: monochromatic. 12. Aberrations of optical systems: chromatic. Corrections of aberrations. Doublets.
13. Colorimetry. Colour mixing, colour systems.
Born, M., Wolf, E., Principles of optics, Pergamon Press, N.Y, 1970
Williams Ch. S., Becklund O. A.: Optics: A Short Course for Engineers and Scientists
Elaboration of given tasks.
Light as electromagnetic waves, polarization.
Refraction index, dispersion, Abbe number.
Optical path length. Fermat's principle.
Reflection as a function of refraction index and angle of incidence. Reflection of polarized light.
Deviating prisms - types. Handedness and parity. Unfolding.
Dispersing prisms - principle and types.
Definition of a paraxial space. Refraction equations for a spherical surface.
Cardinal points and planes, sign convention, optical power, focal length, magnifications.
System of spherical surfaces: cardinal points, transfer equations (Gauss, Newton), magnifications.
Thick lens: types, basic shapes, locations of principal planes.
Thin lens: definition, cardinal points. Thin lens combinations: effective focal length.
Aperture and field stops: definition, location, function. F number.
Pupils and windows: definition, location, function.
Diffraction: Airy disc, angular resolution.
Monochromatic aberrations: types, description.
Chromatic aberration: description, correction. Achromat, apochromat, superachromat.
Aditive and subtractive colour mixing. Objective colour description.
Fermat's principle, prism, mirror, thin lens, thick lens, aberrations